Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ace Combat Assault Horizon



Alright people This is SirSlaughter back already with another review. This time Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.



Now this I will say was a bit of a downer for me. They tried something different and I commend them for that...But what they tried differently this time was just another COD action game. What I loved about Ace combat was lost here. I wanted ACE COMBAT! Not ACE OF DUTY, or CALL OF ACES: ADVANCED RIPOFF! I was so sad with this at times I just wanted to break the disk. But I stuck through and said no, I WILL finish this. And so I did.

Gameplay: Okay it plays like any other ace combat I know. It's a jet flying game. BUT! There were a few different things. Different things I hated.

First regenerating health. No! NO! This is not what ace combat is. If you need repairs go back to base and repair, Don't just fly away and let your health regenerate. Stupid and this was all to appeal to the COD generation.

Next: Range of weapons. In the other ace combats you could take out enemies at a distance and be done with the lowly stupid pilots that thought they could take you out. Nope, Not here. Even with my XLAA or my 6AAMs I still had to get in close and personal to get a good range, And by then they were already outmaneuvering me to get behind me so I had to resort to DFM. So my missiles for the most part were a complete waste.

Last: Dog fight mode (DFM). What the hell is this? I mean What the hell? This is a mode where you can get behind the enemy and tail him closely and see some real action unfold. Now using it maybe once or twice is okay with me. But because of the last problem I had to use it every other fighter so I could get to my objective on time. (because apparently warlock battalion isn't here to be decent at a tank attacks). So DFM is an annoying gimmick they overused just to please the action generation of today. I am disappoint.

Story: The way they presented the story compared to the other ace combat games was...different. This time it was about you and your squadron. Not the enemy. Now don't get me wrong I didn't hate it, But I was not drawn in to the story except for maybe 2 parts. And those were mission briefing cut scenes where the main characters would wish each other good luck and go about their business. Not too engaging, But not terrible. Though I will admit when I beat the game it felt like I just finished watching a decent actin movie. A good way to end, But for ace combat...

Story 2: I put "2" because in every ace combat the story was also being told by the pilots in the air as you were playing. They did do that in this one, But it was not engaging. It did not feel like i did in the others. It wasn't in depth for me enough to sit and enjoy listening to everyone's conversation. Maybe once or twice but not a lot.

Music: I always liked ace combats music because It would pump me up when I was flying and taking names. But this was all Heavy metal and like I said. It was more to please the COD generation. THE BEAUTY IS BEING TAKEN! I will admit there were at least 3 songs I was liking and they got e a bit into it, But then after that track ended I just switched on some Solatorobo music and I believe that fit better to what I was doing.

Graphics: Much much better than any other ace combat. Now that I will admit was awesome. They made each and every aircraft unique and when you shot them down being able to see the carnage and style of the plane was sweet. I liked looking and watching as i took out an SU-33 with a missile to watch and see the pilot flying out of the explosion. The planes looked great and that was something that made me smile. But the story cut scenes could have done with a bit more work wit the graphics.

Overall: I was not happy with this game. They tried something different, But it was only different in the fact it was NOT ace combat. It was A Call of duty Jet flying hybrid. SO I was very disappointed. There were moments where it felt like a real ace combat game but they were lost the moment the enemy aircraft went into dogfight mode and tried to take me out like that.

I gave this....a 6.5 out of 10Not because I dispise it, But because they turned it into Ace of Duty, Or Call of Aces. This is SirSlaughter signing off.

6.5/10

1 comment:

  1. o M I R O K I o here, I would have to agree on the most part with SirSlaughter here, this game would have donebetter if they sticked to the franchise and way of playing than rather give it a complete change to the game itself. First off the story...if only they picked out a better person for it since I've read some of the books that man made and are pretty much a CoD storyline with some tweaks here and there(not gonna say much about it). Second, I would have been happy if you could have taken out the crappy pilots out much faster and then the ACE pilots would have been the only ones you could have taken out using DFM and they could use it against you too. And yeah I don't know what in blazes happened to the music in it too, I mean sure heavy metal pumps up at times, but it really doesn't have to be there almost ALL the time ace combat always had thatepic music that just had you going around thinking "okay epic ownage coming up" or "hmm some badass ace is gonna give me a run for my money". But oh well, the producers and directors and the whole company apparently thought "well seeing as most of gamers play CoD and it's a non stop action etc etc let's make it the same so people buy it and we can bring new users who were unknown to the franchise be drawn into it". It was a what you could say "well made game" but for those who are veterans might not seem like the greatest idea so far, then again I could be wrong and CoD user who blindly play a recycled game will call me a "hating FAGGOT" or something similar. Kudos for the review by the way.

    ReplyDelete